Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Iraq Shrine Crisis - Aftermath



Mohammed at Iraq the Model reports that "Life is coming back to normal in Baghdad" after Iraq's political leaders reaffirmed the need for unity in the wake of the disorders that followed the destruction of the Imam Ali shrine in Iraq. My opinion:
Mohammed, I think it is safe to say that the New Iraq has passed a very important test: its new institutions have held firm under great social and political strength. I am a little surprised and very pleased.

I also think the time has come for the militias to disband. And the chance of this happening now is greater than ever. Not just because it is the right thing to do; I guess that Iraq's political leaders now trust each other enough to regard separate religious militias as a hindrance rather than an aid to their individual political ambitions.

At moments like this, isn't democracy simply the best?

No comments: