Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tipple Time!


And now for something completely different...

I have decided to buy another bottle of bourbon. This is a momentous decision for me, because my current bottle of Old Setter was purchased before bar codes even existed! (Believe it or not, The Wife worries that I'm becoming an alcoholic!)

Jews who keep kosher can only choose from a limited number of wines, as grapes and grape products must be handled specially. But since bourbon is distilled only from grains, observant Jews have just as wide a choice as everybody else.

I've read numerous reviews and sampled several products with my friends. My top three picks are Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden's, and Maker's Mark.

Readers, I look forward to your comments.

Update, 12/22

I chose Woodford Reserve. Perhaps not quite as sweet as I desire, but complex and entertaining, with a mild finish that keeps me coming back for more - dangerous stuff. And none of the bad "notes" I've experienced with Wild Turkey or Old Setter. The "nose" of Maker's Mark was too much like rubbing alcohol. Basil Hayden's was just a touch more expensive and that decided me.

No comments: